Tuesday, November 2, 2010

USE THEM TO YOUR ADVANTAGE


When the silly bandz craze started the first thing I thought was: “Why didn’t I come up with this... it’s just an elastic band.” Kids were going nuts over them, you couldn’t find them anywhere because stores couldn’t keep up with the demand.


My kids thought they were cool and because their friends had silly bandz they wanted to have silly bandz too. I checked them out and found them at the dollar store.


I decided to use the silly bandz to my advantage… as a reward system. I told my kids that they would earn a silly band for good behavior and that they would lose one every time they did something bad.


It worked! My kids were too funny. Nicole and Jerry were competing with each other to see who would end up with more silly bandz. They even started asking us to give them chores, like washing dishes and cleaning so they could win a silly band. My daughter Nicole has almost 200 silly bandz.


The silly band reward system lasted about 3 months.


(Now… apparently grown ups are using them to flirt in bars (as a pick up line.) The NY Daily News has an interesting article on that.)


Do you use a reward system? What is it?

No comments:

Post a Comment