Thursday, November 25, 2010

MONEY! MONEY! HELPS WITH MATH SKILLS.

I have bought my kids “play money” several times but as you know toys now a days don’t last very long in a home. It has nothing to do with the way they are made… it has to do with the way kids play with them, they’ll either break them or get bored because there’s another toy that can replace that toy, and another toy, and another toy. Basically, there are too many!


Anyway, my kids love to play “store”, the other day they were playing store and they were pretending to have invisible money. I saw that and decided to surprise them.


I went and got some construction paper and made some play money for them. It was nothing fancy. (I knew it would end up in the garbage after they were done playing “store”. The point was for them to have fun.) I cut out some rectangles and wrote the numbers on the bills. I used different colors too.


They loved it!


Again it wasn’t fancy but it’s ok, it served its purpose and it didn’t cost me any money! Plus the kids had a blast playing with it.


Playing with play money will help kids master basic math skills. It helps kids learn how to count, add and subtract. They learn about the different denominations of paper bills, as well as how to use these to make purchases.


I didn't make coins... but you can also use the construction paper to make them.

No comments:

Post a Comment