Sunday, February 24, 2013

Kids Are Too Demanding



We Need To Start Teaching Kids The Value and Meaning of The Little Things Before It’s Too Late

“Mommy I want a cell phone”,  “Mommy I want a DS”, “Mommy I want a DSI”, “Mommy I want a kindle”, “Mommy I want a laptop.”

Seriously?  I had my first cell phone and laptop when I was 20, and I had to pay for them myself.

I love technology don’t get me wrong but we are creating “little spoiled monsters” by skipping all the cool traditional toys we had as kids… the toys that allowed our imagination to go wild and be creative. Now kids can’t be creative or tell a story unless there’s a piece of technology involved.

Do you remember the Fisher Price Chatter Telephone? I had one and I loved that thing… Did you have one? I had so much fun with mine. I used my imagination and pretended to “call people.”  The phone was my buddy. I thought he was the cutest thing and I took him everywhere with me. He had the cutest blue eyes that rolled up and down as I pulled him along the house.

I bought one for my kids but it didn’t have the same impact, they played with it for about 5 minutes and moved on to the next thing.  Technology, of course, because the phone was “too boring” according to them.

For Christmas, my Best Friend told my kids he had presents for them. The kids were extremely excited… but then when he handed each one of them a kite they had a funny look on their face. (Grandparents and family have spoiled my kids. They have always given them expensive toys and technology.)  As my Best Friend was handing them the kites he said: “You know guys it was hard to figure out what to buy for kids that already have everything. So I thought flying a kite will be fun to do. We can play outside together, that will be fun.” Their eyes lit up and they got very excited and said: “That’s so cool, we never did that. That will be fun.”


It was at that moment that I realized technology is not the one to blame. We are. The parents.  Just because the world of technology is moving at a fast pace every day doesn’t mean we should skip the cool traditional toys like the Fisher Price Chatter Telephone, the puzzles… the kite!!!

According to Market researcher NPD Group “Action figure sales are down 11 per cent, games and puzzles fell 16 per cent, and plush toys plummeted 19 per cent. This weakness comes as the popularity of tablets and smart phones ensure a non-stop flood of digital games, which are doing big business at even $1 a pop."
“There are more changes going on in the industry now than in the past 10 years combined – it’s very dramatic,” said Anton Rabie, co-founder of Spin Master.


Just out of curiosity I did a Google search for “Top Toys” “Hottest Toys” and “Kids Gift Ideas.” Here’s what was on the list: iPad, Kindle, Wow Wee Robosapien Humanoid Robot with Remote Control, LCD Writing Tablet, Leapfrog Scribble and Write device.

Why aren't there kites, tops and my favorite Fisher Price Chatter Telephone on that list? 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_traditional_children's_games


What was your favorite toy and have you bought it for your child?  

No comments:

Post a Comment